As we’re enjoying the dog days of summer, many of us will be taking our four legged friends on a road trip.
While driving might be an easier alternative to flying with your pet, there are still things that a responsible pet owner should know before hitting the road:
- NEVER leave your dog in a hot car.
- Safety should be the number one priority so invest in a dog seat belt or harness to keep your pooch secure on the road.
- Make sure to microchip your dog and have updated ID tags which include your cell phone number while traveling.
- Pack your dog’s regular food, travel water bowl, medications and a few favorite toys.
- Stuff a Kong with your dog’s favorite treats, peanut butter, pumpkin, etc. for quiet time in the car (here’s more information on how to stuff a Kong).
- If your dog suffers from carsickness, consult your vet before your departure as certain medications may be able to help.
- Make sure to scout out lodging on the road that is dog friendly.
- If your dog is spooked by unfamiliar noises in the hotel, try white noise (fan, TV, radio, white noise machine, etc.) to drown out those sounds.
Be safe and have fun wherever your adventures take you!
Are you planning on taking your pooch on the road this summer? Share your tips here.