Thinking of including Fido in your big day? Here’s some tips to make your dog friendly wedding memorial and manageable!
I got engaged in July, and people have asked if our pug, Barkley, will be part of the festivities. While he is one handsome guy, he is not cut out for a wedding environment, so he will be happily enjoying life at home.
While Barkley isn’t going to be making the trip down the aisle with us, many people do incorporate their pooch in their special day.
As our dogs become family members, it’s difficult for many dog owners to leave their dog out of the festivities.
– Ring bearers and /or flower girls escort them down the aisle
– Incorporate the dog in the actual wedding party as a ring bearer with the ring tied to a collar/harness
– Dress them up in a fancy collar and coordinating leash matching the wedding colors
– Secure a family member/friend/dog sitter to be in charge of your dog while they are at the wedding and plan their transportation back home/hotel ahead of time
– Make sure to have LOTS of high value treats on hand to try keep the dog focused and well-behaved
– Make sure your dog has plenty of water and opportunities to use the bathroom
Before incorporating your dog, really think if they will be appropriate in a large group setting. Weddings can be chaotic and overwhelming (for dogs and people alike!), so if your dog is a bit shy, reactive or anxious perhaps leaving them at home with the pet sitter is the way to go.
– Have the cake topper resemble your dog
– Incorporate your dog in your engagement photos. Use photos for:
There is lots of opportunities either way to include your four legged friend in your big day!